I know I say this often but WOW time is flying. I just looked back and my last blog post was posted mid-May! Between starting a new side gig with my girl T. (more on that later), Mother’s Day, long weekend trips, Father’s day and of course my lil’ man’s big 4th b’day it has been a crazy ride and during this crazy ride, I have made A LOT of cake! Among all these gluten free delights were vanilla cake, chocolate chip cake, orange chocolate cupcakes and of course my recipe for the best gluten free chocolate cake ever! Thank goodness for doggy bags and freezers or my waistline would be growing by immense proportions from all the deliciousness that was born in my kitchen!
Now, if you like chocolate cake, I kid you not, the recipe below is the best gluten free chocolate cake you will ever make. It’s soft, fudgey and rich in chocolate taste and (Warning! I am about to use the dreaded word!) moist!
This recipe never fails me and I always get compliments on how good it is. It’s delicious on it’s own, served with fresh fruit or you can jazz it up with your favourite frosting. This cake also freezes perfectly which is a must if your household is anything like mine where you are trying to run a household, do a little work on the side, plan and prep for all activities and special occasions…. all amidst an almost two and a four year old who never stop moving except for PAW Patrol and ice cream.
I hope you enjoy this cake as much as we do! Cheers to having your cake and eating it too! ?
Best Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups (300g) gluten free flour blend
- ¼ cup + 2T (52g) corn starch
- 1 ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- 1½ cups (166g) cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ cups (342g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1¼ cups (225g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (200g) packed brown sugar
- 2 extra large eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1½ cups plain full fat Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and position your oven racks in the middle of the oven.
- Grease and line with parchment paper your choice of cake or cupcake pan (use muffin liners).
- 2 x 9″ rounds
- 2 x 7″ rounds & 12 cupcakes
- 2 – 2 ½ dozen cupcakes
- In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa power, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
- Using your stand mixer or using a large bowl with a hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars.
- To the butter mixture add the eggs one at a time.
- Next, add the vanilla and milk and mix until combined.
- Alternating between the two, add in the flour mixture and the yogurt and mix until everything is evenly combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pans.
- Bake cupcakes for about 25- 30 minutes and cakes for 60- 70 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool inside the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.